Here is a post I started a week ago. I will publish this to appease the masses, and potentially a more considerate post if I don't get to the bottom of this box o wine before...:
Wow. Here I am at almost a year. In 9 days, I will have reached my one year anniversary in Cameroon. One year! So to celebrate, I want to spend this post reflecting on what I have learned.
1) When traveling, always pack your clothes in plastic bags because it is likely that a chicken will be packed in the back. If you don't, your clothes will likely smell like chicken crap.
2) I am the dirtiest person in my village. Everyone else bathes 2 to 3 times a day. I usually scrub my feet once a day. This both limits how much water I use (good when my water is cut), and who wants to talk to me (good always).
3) Preparing food is hard. This is especially true when you have to go to the field, cultivate, harvest, actually plan what you will eat, make your own oil, clean everything, kill your own chicken, etc. Mommas should get paid for all that they do. Instead, their husbands generally deny that they do any work at all.
4) Raising a puppy like an American is really hard work.
5) Being bi-lingual is pretty awesome.
6) Power. Ah, the endless power structures that exist and the ways in which they manifest in reality. And poverty, which is both created by and creates power. In this way, it seems like both power and poverty are unavoidable.
7) You never know who will have something really poignant to say. Sometimes the most thoughtful comments or observations come from the most unexpected places.
8) Slogans are hilarious and totally meaningless: Especially the Maggi Cube slogans. This one is my favorite: "Every woman is a star." What it doesn't say is "Every woman is a star in the kitchen, which is exactly where she belongs." Also, everyone has a slogan. Here's Nido's (powdered milk): "For a strong and healthy growth." I buy Top Milk brand to avoid cysts and goiters.
9) Humor is socially constructed. Something American's find funny:
Me: It is hot!
Cameroonian: We are in Africa.
Me: Oh, yeah? We're in Africa? I had no idea! I thought we were in America! [All the while looking around in awe as I am surrounded by tropical forest and Africans.]
Cameroonian: Yes, we are [dead pan].
Something Cameroonians find funny:
Cameroonian: Wat (Pidgin for 'white')! [Calling out to me.]
Me: Yes, my name is Wat.
Cameroonian: Haha. You're name is Wat. That means 'White' in our patoi.
Scheez!
10) Development has really done a number on Africa. There is such a mental dependence on outsiders, and most people lack what I love about America- our 'Can-do' attitudes and our problem solving skills. Even perfectly capable, normal, relatively educated people are constantly seeking outside funding. I also just find it weird that people think I have any power at all here or in the states. Or money. So, as a PCV in the world of non-traditional development, I really like to focus my work on encouraging people. Unfortunately that does not come through in reports...
So those are just some random thoughts. I will try to write something more substantial, hopefully less cynical (sorry, Susan, I really hope I am not too cynical nowadays....).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment